Alcohol and Drug Counseling Certification in Georgia

Georgia has many different levels of certification as offered through the Alcohol Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia a non-governmental body. The three primary levels of certification are called Certified Alcohol Drug Counselor I (CADC-I), Certified Alcohol Drug Counselor II (CADC-II) and the Certified Advanced Alcohol Drug Counselor (CAADC).

Alcohol and Drug Counselor Requirements in Georgia:

The Law for Certified Alcohol and Drug Certification Counselors and why you can counsel alcohol and drug addicts with this Certification.

Pathways to Certification

Georgia substance abuse counselors work under third party certification. According to state code, addiction counselors are exempt from professional licensure by the Georgia Composite Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers & Marriage and Family Therapists if they hold certification through the Georgia Addiction Counselors Association or another similar organization and are limiting their work to activities that are within their scope of practice.

The Georgia Addiction Counselors Association is the state affiliate of the Association of Addiction Professionals (NAADAC). Georgia also has an affiliate of the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium/ Alcohol and Other Drug (IC&RC/ AOD); it is the Alcohol & Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia.

Addiction counselors who are in the process of meeting certification requirements through an acceptable organization may also be exempted, for a limited period, from licensing requirements.

A person who is exempt from requirements for licensure as a professional counselor (or social worker or marriage and family therapist), however, may still seek licensure. Many Georgia professionals hold dual (or multiple) credentials. Licensure as a professional counselor requires education at the master’s level. Substance abuse counseling positions do not necessarily require education at this level — though a number of positions do.


  • High school Diploma or GED for CADC-I
  • Bachelor’s degree in Counseling or closely related field for CADC-II
  • Master’s degree in Counseling or closely related field for CAADC.
  • Three years or 6,000 hours of supervised experience in alcohol and drug counseling.
  • If you have your Bachelor’s degree you will need 4,000 hours of alcohol and drug counseling.
  • You will need 270 hours of education in ICRC/AODA-Alcohol and Other Drugs of Addiction, related courses that are composed of the 12 Core Functions: Screening; Intake; Orientation; Assessment; Treatment Planning; Counseling; Case Management; Crisis Intervention; Client Education; Referral; Reports and Record Keeping; Consultation.
  • You are recommended to have one hour of direct supervision for every ten hours of experience.
  • You are required to have a minimum of 300 hours of supervision which must include ten hours in each of the 12 Core Functions outlined above.
  • You will need three letters of professional recommendation.
  • You must sign the ADACB-Ga Code of Ethics.
  • You must pass examinations administered by the ADACB-Ga.